Less than 2 years
On leaving, you have the following options.
- You can claim a refund of your contributions but no refund can be made if you re-join the scheme in Scotland within a month and a day of leaving or re-join before the refund has been paid
- You may be able to transfer your benefits to a new pension arrangement. You must have been a member for at least 3 months.
- You can delay your refund up to 5 years of you leaving the scheme or age 75 if earlier. At that point a refund of contributions will automatically be paid to you.
2 years or more
On leaving, you have two options:
- You can choose to keep your pension in the Scheme - this is known as deferred pension and will be reviewed every year in line with the cost of living.
- You may be able to transfer your pension to a new pension arrangement, although in some circumstances you may need to receive impartial, independent financial advice before you can do so.