Child Related Leave

During ordinary parental leave, you'll pay contributions on the actual pay you receive.  

However, for unpaid period of childcare leave, you can buy back this period.  It will often be a small amount of pension “lost” in respect of this unpaid period. This is done through an Additional Pension Contract (APC).  

  • If you do this within 30 days returning to work, your employer will share the costs of buying back the pension. You will pay 1/3rd and your employer 2/3rds.  
  • If you do this after the 30-day period, you will pay the full cost of the APC unless your employer chooses to contribute.  

For more information regarding buying back periods of lost pension, visit  the APC modeller at LGPS 2015 APC Modellers.  

My Pension Online